Friday, January 19, 2007

Obsession much?

The newest internet phenomenon sweeping through Toronto - Facebook. In the last few weeks, EVERYONE is rushing to sign-up and have as many "friends" as possible. I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Yes, it lets you find long-lost friends from the haydays of high school and middle school (I actually managed to get back in touch with some really old-time friends - it turned out we were neighbours!). And yes, in THEORY it lets you develop an incredible network of "friends." But really...what are people using it for? They send each other requests to add each other as friends...so that they can have as many friends as possibe on their "friends' list" and seem popular, but then that person's profile picture just sits there...and sits there...and sits there. The WHOLE POINT of it, was so you could find old friends and COMMUNICATE with them. But instead, people seem to be using it as a popularity contest....adding people as friends...and then never actually talking to them. This is not to say that ALL those who use Facebook do this, but really, is it not enough that you have my phone number, e-mail addressES, msn contact information, blog address and for some, a myspace account, hi5 account and friendster account? Is it REALLY that difficult to pick up a phone and just CALL your friends these days? Or have we become that anti-social that we need to be part of a million and one online networks?

6 Comments:

At January 19, 2007 11:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

umm... stop hating on facebook! I actually only seek to add friends who I will actually talk to and did talk to at some point in my life, but happened to lose touch with. I agree that many people do use it as a popularity contest, but im actually not one of then I am very reluctant to add people that I never really knew - the nameless, faceless ppl that you saw in the halls or at pheonix every thursday.. haha... (hence my small count of friends.. lol) but ya... stop hating!! an happy early buttday =)

 
At January 19, 2007 1:25 PM , Blogger Jinkerjacket said...

haha sorry...but see..you use it properly..i have so many people that send me friend requests..and never talk to me! i just end up deleting eventually..i know what you mean about the nameless, faceless ppl...thats also why i now have a small count of friends! thanks girl...and happy early buttday to you too! :)

 
At January 20, 2007 11:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

People you don't know want to add you on Facebook?? That's odd!! I get that on MySpace, but I am very selective and only if their profile makes me laugh out loud do I even bother. It worries me when I see people with 300 friends though. Like as if you have 300 friends!!

 
At January 22, 2007 12:28 PM , Blogger Jinkerjacket said...

yah man i get random guys wanting to add me to their facebook...they're just desperate creepy fools so whatever..but then i also get ppl from like my high school or elementary school adding me as friends...but we were never friends in high school..and they add me but never say anything...its so retarded...

 
At January 22, 2007 9:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

u take that back about facebook... it is great...end of story...

 
At January 22, 2007 9:57 PM , Blogger Jinkerjacket said...

lol...with your long weekends every other week...looks like you have LOTS of time on your hands for this so-called amazing facebook..hehehe....i will NOT take it back! :P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home