Friday, May 30, 2008

An author's process...nobody's business?

Last month I wrote this wonderfully passionate and angry post about one of my most favourite authors. The fear of being sued tormented my dreams that night, so I deleted it. Also maybe because I felt a pang of guilt when I realized I was being really mean. After all, she is one of my most favourite authors.


She came to Toronto for a reading of her new book and I (the celebrity-struck person I am) just had to see the real flesh and blood of her. I also wanted to pick her brain or, at least, watch others do it in a Q&A.

Standing in line to have my copy of Interpreter of Maladies autographed I don't really know what I expected from meeting her. Perhaps that she would have some profound words of wisdom that would somehow render me the next literary genius. Or, maybe that she would offer some inspiring story that would motivate me to make an attempt at writing fiction. In the end, when I walked up to her little table and held my book out to be signed, nervousness hit me and I only managed to ask, "What is your process when you begin a new book? Do you brainstorm a flurry of ideas, or do you have a more structured approach?"

Her answer: "Many stories come from many places." Add in a roll of the eyes and an awkward quiver in her voice.


I was crushed.

4 Comments:

At June 13, 2008 8:29 AM , Blogger Lady Canyonero said...

I don't she can sue you for her own bitchiness.

 
At June 13, 2008 9:51 AM , Blogger Jinkerjacket said...

lol i don't think she was being a bitch..i think she's just really shy....authors are people who spend countless hours alone and in other worlds...only natural that they're a little flustered with crowds...right?

 
At June 17, 2008 8:54 AM , Blogger Lady Canyonero said...

no.

C-List is a published author and she's still able to function in social situations.

 
At June 17, 2008 2:20 PM , Blogger Jinkerjacket said...

really?!?! c-list is a published author?!? i didn't know that! well that would explain why her blog is also so fabulous....

well i've heard michael ondaatje is quite shy also...maybe it's just some writers...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home