Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Must the wedding bells really start ringing?

Yesterday, a good friend of mine announced that he’s getting married*. He’s 29. His announcement is one of two such declarations made by my friends in less than a year…and has got me thinking…will they all just start dropping like flies from here on end? Have I really and truly reached that point in my life, where engagement parties and weddings and showers and stags and stagettes and babies…begin to take over? When did it become the normal path of life for 20somethings? Aren’t we the generation that is supposed to be advocating independence, freedom, vagabonding, fear of commitment and the likes? Have I been seriously duped into my lifestyle?

A sleepless night of tossing and turning led me to believe this: I am freaked out.

Everyone and everything changing around me, only makes me dig my heels into my adolescent-adult-life even more, and I will continue to do so until I am the last one standing. It’s my party, and I swear I’ll cry if I want to.

*Congrats to you K! This post in no way reflects you specifically, so I thought it necessary to add this disclaimer.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At June 06, 2007 2:15 PM , Blogger averagejoe said...

So many of my friends are getting married now, it isn't even funny. Actually one of my friends who I NEVER thought would get married now has a wife, house, and dog. It is truly terrifying!

Also - the Satanic Verses is an amazing book. I loved it, even though I still don't really know what the heck it was about.

 
At June 06, 2007 2:32 PM , Blogger Jinkerjacket said...

Is that you Rockstarjoe? Have you really resurfaced?! If so, when is Velvet's next gig? We be planning a road trip down to DC!

Or are you possibly a different joe? In any case, it always tends to be that that ONE friend who you NEVER expected to get married...ends up being the first one to actually do it! It's rather frightening.

And yes, I tried reading the Satanic Verses last year, but it was so "mind-bottling" that I had to put it down when I was halfway through it, and only recently managed to pick it back up.

 
At June 06, 2007 3:02 PM , Blogger Lady Canyonero said...

well don't worry...i've been assured that I won't be getting married before I'm 30 so you've still got me for another umm...3.5 years (look, I did math!!)

 
At June 06, 2007 4:27 PM , Blogger Jinkerjacket said...

3.5 years?! it will go by so quickly :(

 
At June 07, 2007 8:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was actually talking with my mom last night about this very subject. I honestly think I'll be the last one standing. So don't worry....I will be there for sure. Working 6 days a week and not meeting any new guys, I highly doubt it if I'll be finding anyone any time soon! But hey, I am liking being on my own, so life's good.

 
At June 08, 2007 10:50 AM , Blogger Jinkerjacket said...

But that's the whole point...there's no NEED to find anyone...I'm a firm believer in fate...so even with working six days a week and not meeting anyone new..the person you're supposed to end up with will eventually find their way into your life.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home